2011-04-18

Physical Examinations.

Today I wrote and did my Physiology exam. The exam had two parts: a multiple-choice theory component and a practical bell-ringer style exam (with 30 stations, with about half being "live"). The practical exam required me to preform various components of a typical, medical physical exam, such as:

- Test a patient's tricep muscle, bicep-brachialis muscle, achilles, and patellar reflexes
- Determine a patient's blood pressure
- Determine a patient's heart rate (i.e. pulse)
- Determine a patient's respiratory rate
- Determine a patient's oral temperature
- Show a patient how to use a Peak Flow meter
- Analyze a patient's expiration using a Spirometer
- Prepare a patient for an ECG (i.e. place the leads on the patient)

...to name a few. In addition, there were quite a few written questions on the above topics.

The practical exam did not go well. Although I felt totally prepared and relaxed going into the exam, I was NOT prepared for the stress that accompanies a bell-ringer/in-the-moment/you-only-have-90-seconds(!) type of exam. I froze too many times during both the practical questions and written questions. Boo.

But, what can I do? I move on to my next exam, that's what! I've ranted enough about this exam (on my blog, to classmates, and on the phone with Momma), so it's time to put it in the past. That exam is such an insignificant part of my life, it doesn't deserve any more attention.

As for tomorrow, I needle!

1 comment:

  1. Yea Becca - I like your attitude - move forward :)

    Momma, & PJ&M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!