2011-10-04

A Foodie Weekend.

This weekend gone by was a totally foodie weekend. I baked something scrumptious and I volunteered at a picnic.

I volunteered at the 5th Annual Picnic at Brick Works. Brick Works is an old brick making factory (i.e. an old brickworks) that has been converted into a public green space, community center, office space, and weekend farmer's market. The annual "picnic" is not at all a typical picnic, it is a total food lovers paradise! A bunch of well-know chefs from around Toronto came out to display some of their culinary creations using fresh Ontario bounty. Normally, to attend the event and taste all of the dishes, you'd have to pay $120!!! But as a volunteer (I helped with the tear-down of the event), I got in for free (for the last hour of the event). It was such a fun event; I tried some really interesting dishes, like salted caramel, an almost-buttery squash soup, a salad with roasted purple potatoes and pea shoots, pickled garlic, a raw brownie, another potato salad with dijion mustard, hot liquid chocolate (ammmazing), and many other bits and bites. I really want to volunteer again next year, not just for the tastings, but I had a lot fun tearing-down, and to partake in the celebration of food of course!

And as for my weekend baking, may I present...

Carrot Cake with Cashew Cream Icing

I made a carrot cake this weekend using my carrot muffin recipe. I just poured the batter into a cake pan and baked it for almost an hour. I thin frosted the cooled cake with a thick, cashew cream icing using my recipe from the Summer.

Hooray for a cream cheese-free (for Tony's sake :P) carrot cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!