2010-10-07

Super Food Number One.

Becca's Super Food Number One: Kale.

Kale is a wonderful green veggie. It is a nutritional powerhouse, containing high amounts of vitamins, iron, and calcium. I love it raw, but it is also good steamed or lightly cooked (I added some kale to my chili tonight and it was a great addition).

My love of kale blossomed after I first tried it in this recipe:

Creamy Kale

1 bunch of kale, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces

1/4 cup smooth, natural peanut butter
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari or white miso paste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon each dried garlic, ginger, and cumin

Mix all sauce ingredients, pour over raw kale or kale that has been lightly steamed or "boiled" (I bring about 3 centimeters of water to a boil in a frying pan or wok, I remove the water from the stove, submerge the kale into it, let the kale "boil" for 3 to 5 minutes, then drain and serve covered in the peanut sauce). Serves two.

This recipe is awesome with other nut and seed butters; I like sesame and pumpkin seed butter covered kale too. Inspired by the "Creamy Peanut Kale" recipe found at vegweb.com.

2 comments:

  1. There we go, Babe! That may be the best recipe on your list. There are a few other contenders for the top spot, but this one is simple enough that even I could probably cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca - that Tony guy is funny :)


    xxx PJ & M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!