2010-11-19

Professors and "Normal" Cookies.

I love my professors here at CCNM. This semester I am taught by a Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, two PhDs, a lawyer, two MDs (neurosurgeons), an MD turned ND, and 5 NDs. What I find amazing, is that I am not taught entirely by NDs; I am even taught by MDs who have appreciated--throughout the course of their careers--the importance of naturopathic medicine. They have chosen to teach (and some even practice) at in institution that emphasizes at naturopathic approach to health and wellness.

The diversity of the qualifications of my professors is very beneficial to the students as they each provide unique insight into the field of health. For example, yesterday my TCM professor made the point that we NDs need to step out of our little world in order to treat the rest of the world. He made fun of us NDs, those who enjoy a "homemade carob spelt cookie" for a treat while the rest of the world chows down on "plastic-wrapped Twinkies". He told us that if we could get teenagers to eat homemade cookies rather than packaged, preservative-heavy, store-bought cookies, that this would be a huge improvement in their diet.

I feel like I am pretty good at recognizing the necessity of "baby steps" but from now on I am consciously going to try harder to remove myself from this uber-healthy realm and see where the rest of the world is coming from.

And with that, a recipe for some relatively normal chocolate chip cookies. Tony is coming to visit, so I thought that he might enjoy some homemade sweets upon his arrival :D

"Normal" Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups flour of choice*
2 teaspoons baking soda
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Combine wet and dry. Add chocolate chips. Roll into bit-sized balls and press lightly onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350F for ten minutes. My recipe made 36 bite-sized cookies, but you are more than welcome to make fewer--but larger--cookies. *I used kamut flour.

2 comments:

  1. PJ & M wants cookies :)

    We heard that when you were little you only had home baked cookies vs store bought for quite a few years so you can't beat yourself up with your lifestyle approach - there was a little influencing and pushing along the way by some one....

    PJ & M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make you cookies, PJ & M. The ones I just made are mini, perfect size for you two!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!