2011-07-16

Avocado Chocolate Cookies.

Today I share another recipe with my blog readers, but soon I'll be sharing recipes with my whole community. I've arranged to start submitting healthy and simple recipes to my local newspaper. I'm glad to be able to offer my community with some healthy cooking options. While I won't know who will have tried my recipe out, I can at least hope that by reading my recipes in the paper, I may have sparked someone's interest in cooking, in health, or in the best scenario, in healthy cooking!

I fed these healthier cookies to three unsuspecting children (Elle's nieces and nephews) and all they replied was "more, please!". The avocado taste is hidden and replaces the butter or margarine that is typically found in cookie recipes. Sucanat is a non-processed sugar (it is dried sugar cane juice); however regular or organic cane sugar can be used instead.

Avocado Chocolate Cookies

1/2 cup sucanat or sugar
1 avocado, mashed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream the avocado, oil, and sugar together. Mix the dry ingredients together. Combine the creamed ingredients with the dry. Roll the batter into a ball and place in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight. Roll the batter out and using cookie cutters, cut out fun cookie shapes (or simple roll small amounts of batter into little balls and press slightly onto the greased or lined baking sheet). Place the cookie shapes onto a greased or lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely (on a baking rack) before storing. Makes 12 large, shaped cookies or 24 mini, round ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!