2012-06-12

Fakin' Bacon.

Do eat pork but craving bacon? Allow me to present the solution! Bacon: Saving Millions from Becoming Vegan! (The caption featured on the bag below).

 Bahaha! Found this funny bag here.
Fakin' Bacon

1 package of firm tofu (or tempeh) or two chicken breasts (I haven't tried this with chicken, but I imagine it would work?)

2 tablespoons each maple syrup, soy sauce, and veg oil
1 tablespoon vinegar 
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili or Cajun powder
1 teaspoon garlic and onion powder (optional)
Pinch of cayenne pepper or dash of hot sauce

Stir together all of the marinade ingredients. Slice firm tofu/chicken into thin strips. Marinade the tofu/chicken for at least 30 minutes. Place strips on a wire rack (placed onto a baking sheet to catch drips). Bake for 30-40 minutes at 400F until crisp.

When I was at the market on the weekend, I came across bacon cookies.  I guess that should be next on my list of 'must makes'. Also, if I do recall correctly, a winning recipe at the Vegan Bake-off was a vegan maple bacon donut. If a donut already exists, it looks like a vegan bacon cookie can most definitely be done.

Here is a picture of my thai-inspired salad topped with some fakin' bacon (cabbage, red and orange peppers, greens, cilantro, peas, and spicy peanut dressing):



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!