2013-01-30

Sweets For My Sweet

I made cupcakes last night at midnight. Odd, I know; but the baking bug always bites me at the weirdest times. Oh, and since Valentine's Day is coming up (in two weeks time), why not bake some sweets for your sweet rather than buy them sweet junk? I've got lots of baking inspiration on this blog, but I also recommend this blog and this one for lots of tasty, yet healthier, dessert recipes.

This picture was taken with a pink filtered lens. Makes everything look nice and rosy!

The Cupcakes

1.5 cups buckwheat (or whole wheat) flour
3/4 cup sugar (coconut sugar works)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon (or pinch) of salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon vinegar of choice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups of cold water

Mix dry. Mix wet. Pour into greased or a lined muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Makes 10-12 cupcakes.  

The Icing

1/2 cup hazelnuts or cashews
1/4 cup honey
1/4 milk or water
Splash of vanilla extract
1 beet, cooked

Blend all the ingredients in a blender (alternatively, use nut butter instead of raw nuts; stir the ingredients well). Spread onto cooled cupcakes. The beet doesn't change the taste of the cupcake; it just adds some rosy color!

2 comments:

  1. Yum :) Your first link isn't working, just FYI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, works fine for me. What do you get when you click on it? When I click on it, it takes me to every post I every labeled as "Baking" (that was the intention).

      Delete

Thanks for your comment!