2010-11-11

Contrast Showers and Sound Waves.

Lest we forget.

I hope you all had a chance to remember this Remembrance Day. I didn't get to attend a service, but CCNM reserved a moment of silence at 11 AM. One of my professors told us some very heartfelt Remembrance Day-themed stories. He even shed tears while reciting the stories to my class. I didn't know how to react; I've never had undergraduate professors open-up to a class in the way that so many of my professors do here at CCNM. Here was this middle-aged man crying in front of a group of 100 strangers. I could feel his passion sitting from my chair a couple of rows back. Although I missed a formal Remembrance Day service, I couldn't imagine having missing his lecture and his stories today.

__________________________

A simple tip for improving your circulation: take contrast showers.

When in the shower, alternate hot and cold water. For instance, wash with hot water for 3 minutes, the for cold water for 15 seconds, then hot water for another 3 minutes, then finish the shower with cold for 15 seconds. (You may only have one hot-cold cycle if you have a short shower or you may have many cycles if you take long showers). The "shock" of the cold water will not only wake you up, but it will wake your circulatory system up. When the cold water touches the skin, the body will divert more heat and warm blood to the suddenly freezing areas of the body to warm them back up.

___________________________

Sound waves:

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it fall, will it still make a noise?

No. When the tree fell, it emitted sound waves, but these waves are not considered to be "sound" unless there was someone (or some animal) present to interpret the sound wave energy as an actual "sound". Sound is the interpretation of sound waves that reach the ear. Sound depends on the duration, frequency (determines the pitch), and amplitude (determines the loudness) of the waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!