2010-12-19

Crazy Baking Spree and Natural Medicines.

After submitting my blog post last night, I realized that I was really craving some quality time in the kitchen. It was exactly what I needed, especially since I've totally depleted my spleen in the last couple of weeks; I needed to engage in an activity that was non-academic (more on spleen here). I certainly felt a little crazy being in the kitchen from ten until midnight last night, but for once I felt very relaxed and productive. I managed to bake/cook three incredible dishes too (more on them at a later date).

Natural Medicines Here are just a few; there are SO many more to eventually discuss!

- The medicinal component in garlic is allicin. Allicin is activated when garlic is crushed. If you cook with garlic frequently, you may want to invest in a garlic press. Moreover, allicin becomes more important as it oxidizes (i.e. when it is exposed to oxygen); when making a garlic sauce or dressing, hummus, or guacamole, try to prepare it in advance to increase the healthy benefits of the garlic.

- Parsley is a natural diuretic. It is also anti-microbial, so it is useful in the prevention of urinary tract infections (UTIs). On the topic of UTIs, cranberry gets all the attention as a natural way of preventing and healing UTIs, however blueberries have similar protective properties.

- Honey helps to heal wounds (i.e. it has vulnerary properties). It is also anti-microbial as it is sugary, acidic, and osmotic: three things that bacteria hate and thus honey prevents their growth or kills them during an infection. A tablespoon of honey when you have a sore throat can help, but not if the honey is pasteurized (pasteurizing destroys many of its health benefiting components).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!