A botanist is someone who studies Botany (aka plants). Today I am a Botanist as I prepare for my Botanical Medicine exam on Monday. Here are a few interesting plant tid-bits from my studying:
- Pineapple is great for inflammation (both internally (IBS, Celiac disease) and externally (eczema, sunburns)).
- Pumpkin is awesome for expelling tapeworms.
- Kelp is a great source of iodine, used to treat thyroid disorders, especially hypothyroidism.
- Rhubarb is a laxative and makes you pucker because of its high tannin content.
- Germanium is used to treat gastrointestinal disorders, such as bleeding ulcers or diarrhea.
- Saffron is (today) mostly used to color foods because it is super expensive, but in the past it was used to treat menses complaints; it was not to be used with pregnant women as it caused miscarriage.
- Mustard seeds are used to treat sports injuries.
- Walnuts are used to remove intestinal worms.
Image source here.