My Saturday Studying has taught me that...
- Humans possess between 600-700 lymph nodes.
- Fat is moved around our body via the lacteals of our lymphatic system
- Progesterone is a female hormone that causes the basal body temperature of the body to rise during ovulation. This is extremely helpful for females trying to conceive. They are able to track their basal body temperature (i.e. take the temperature each morning while they are still in bed using an oral thermometer. When they see a rise in temperature, they know they've ovulated).
- Our thyroid gland sits in our neck, but is actually derived from our tongue.
- Alcohol inhibits our anti-diuretic hormone (ADH). Anti-diuretic = anti-urine = less pee. But when ADH is prevented from doing its job, we pee more. Hence the needs to run to bathroom more frequently while drinking.
- Tyrosine is an amino acid required to melanin, our skin's pigment. Albinos (think white hair, very pale skin) have a problem with their tyrosine metabolism. No tyrosine = no melanin = no skin or hair pigment.
What did you learn today?