2013-02-01

Phew, January is over!

Well, January is officially over.

It was the busiest month that I have ever had at CCNM. You can expect way more blog posts now that February is here because I will certainly now have more free-time. It was a month of challenges, being put on the spot, and testing my "doctor skills". Overall, despite being busy, it was a super fun month!

I am actually loving third-year. It is challenging and fast-paced, but it is very motivating and "real". No more learning the theory behind something... instead we are actually doing that something. When I first started third-year I absolutely dreaded the Winter semester (what I am going through now). However, as I was going through the worst of it (the month of January) I found myself really enjoying the process! I was rarely stressed or worried. I guess my confidence has been built up high enough that I am  actually feeling great about my abilities to "play doctor" and therefore I don't worry or fret about the times when I will have to perform what I've learned in a timed and tested environment. For example, OSCE 3 is coming up and I am not feeling the least bit worried. It is nothing more than another hurdle that I will have to get-over in order to becoming a ND.

January featured...

1) Performing three phlebotomies (aka blood draws from a vein)
2) Being Scribe in Primary Care for a disc hernation case
3) Being Doctor in Primary Care for a positive HIV patient case
4) Performed my first spinal adjustment (and have since done three adjustments a week on my partner)
5) Continued to see patients in Clinic while shadowing a fourth-year intern
6) Attended two pediatric appointments; during one I got to perform a physical exam on a 2-year old. So adorable!
7) Volunteered several times at a chocolate company here in Toronto and also at the naturopathic medicine-geared business class
8) Conducted another Chinese Medicine patient intake and provided treatment regarding my patient's TCM diagnosis
9) Finished 99% of the organizing for Women's Health Week (coming up in March!)
10) Worked on CCNM's formal committee (an annual formal-dress dance/dinner), keeping the volunteers in track and working on ticket sales (also in March!)
11) Performed my first gynelogical exam on a female patient
12) Performed my first genitourinary exam and digital rectal exam on a male patient
13) Spent a lot of time on my cookbook. Things are now moving along nicely!
 
Well, it's pretty much smooth sailing from now until the mid-March. Come mid-March I'll get super busy again due to Women's Health Week, formal, and our third and final OSCE exam!

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing, and I'm so thrilled to hear you feel at a place where you're confident enough to not have to panic over exams! So cool! And such a sign you're doing what's right for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support! Hope you are well. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!